Carolyn’s Check List
- Talk to your bank manager or a qualified mortgage broker to obtain a pre-approval BEFORE you start looking. This will help you know your limit and be in a better position to make an offer when you find the right property.
- Wish list – make yourself a list of those things you NEED and also those things you’d LIKE in a property. If you can get around 60% satisfied, you’re doing well.
- Research around 7-10% above your budget but remember most properties in Tasmania are priced spot on, but some vendors may be a little negotiable. Don’t make ridiculous offers but don’t be afraid to ask the question.
- Speak to a solicitor or conveyancer (or your financier) regarding extra costs eg mortgage lenders insurance, stamp duty, legal costs, building insurance etc. so no hidden surprises.
- Develop a good line of communication with your real estate agent, so you can be kept up to date with new listings and/or changes in circumstances. Sign up to my mailing list!
- Make realistic offer(s) and keep things ticking along smoothly – if you like it, buy it! Most Vendors don’t like playing games!
- What conditions will you need to include in a contract? What time frame will the bank need? – pre-empt these questions.
- Enjoy the process!! Buying a new home or investment property is always exciting – don’t forget to enjoy it!
- My Coast Realty – the only name you need to remember!!